I made this card for my husband's birthday. My hubby loves cupcakes so this was the perfect chance to use my Sizzix Framelits Die Set with Stamps - Birthday Blueprint by Tim Holtz. I added some masculine touches with the hexagon patterned paper and black tinsel twine. Hexagons are also a subtle nod to our board gaming hobby.
Making the Card
1. From cream cardstock, cut the Sizzix Fancy Frame Flip-its Card. Fold as directed. Cut another from hexagon patterned paper. Cut down the parts to fit the front and inside as shown below; adhere. Alternatively you may cut these at the same time, trim down the patterned paper to leave a border, adhere to the cream cardstock base, then fold. I prefer the latter if using thin patterned paper but the patterned "paper" I was using is really more like cardstock, making the card a bit too thick for my tastes.
2. From hexagon patterned paper, cut a label for the center backside of the flip-it (adhere to back after step 3 so it doesn't interfere with stamping). I used the Sizzix Movers & Shapers Fancy Labels Die to cut the center label but I wish I had the Framelits Fancy Labels Die Set as well so I could have crated a framed label or maybe a framed writing space. I ended up writing on the back of the card.
3. Unfold and flatten the card. On the front of the flip-it you will stamp some gray mini blueprint cupcakes. Slide a couple sheets of scrap paper under the front label to protect the rest of the card before stamping. This makes a nice subtle background for the main cupcake.
4. On watercolor paper, stamp (with black waterproof ink) the main cupcake 3 or 4 times using Sizzix Framelits Die Set with Stamps - Birthday Blueprint. Plan out which parts will pop up on each copy. I usually make a note in pencil above each image as a reminder. Watercolor using Distress Markers (or Distress Inks) to match patterned paper. Die cut main image and all its parts. Adhere parts with dimensional tape as desired. Adhere cupcake, with dimensional tape, to front flip-it as shown.
5. Stamp sentiment on watercolor paper with black waterproof ink. Die cut. Adhere with dimensional tape as shown.
6. Decorate with sequins and Tinsel Twine as shown.
- Cardstock: Cream
- Patterned Paper: K&Company KP Eclectic 12x12 Paper Pad
- Sizzix Fancy Frame Flip-its Card
- Sizzix Framelits Die Set with Stamps - Birthday Blueprint by Tim Holtz
- Sizzix Movers & Shapers Fancy Labels Die Set
- Stampers Anonymous Mini Blueprints 4 by Tim Holtz (CMS154)
- Watercolor Paper
- Waterproof Black Ink
- Gray Ink
- Distress Markers or Distress Inks
- Dimensional Tape
- Idea-ology Tinsel Twine: Black