Recently Els Van de Burgt (Elizabeth Craft Designs) featured a technique for a glittered background in her Friday YouTube video. I wanted to try it with Halloween colors and feature a pumpkin on the front. I thought about glittering the pumpkin but then decided to give the card some contrast by coloring it with my Copic markers. Since the pumpkin also comes with an outline, you could easily make this a glittered pumpkin with the technique from the Halloween tag card I made a couple years ago.
Making the Card
1. Cut black cardstock 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches; fold in half to form a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch card base.
2. Follow the instructions in the video to create the background. See the supply list for the Silk Microfine Glitter colors I used.
3. Die cut pumpkin base, leaf, stem, and vine from alcohol marker friendly white cardstock. Color each piece. I used the Copic markers listed in supplies. Shape using ball stylus on back of pumpkin, stem, and leaf. Flip leaf and use stylus from middle to stem.
4. Cut a strip of vellum 1 5/8 by about 7 inches. Temporarily place across glittered background such that there is extra hanging off both sides. Note approximately where you want the greeting and pumpkin (I suggest putting a small pencil mark under where the middle of the pumpkin will be and also just outside both sides).
5. Emboss the greeting with gold embossing powder. (Note: I carefully cut my greeting into three lines. If you don't want to do this, you will need to mask the first word.) You can leave it like this or add a layer of glitter, as I did. You will have to line up the stamp perfectly (I used a stamp placement tool) and emoboss with a sticky powder; once melted, it acts like glue. Add Light Gold Silk Microfine Glitter and polish with finger.
6. Adhere strip across card by wrapping around back: put a little adhesive under where pumpkin will go, attach one side then the other on the back. Adhere to card base.
7. Adhere pumpkin, leaf, and stem with dimensional tape. Glue on vine.
- Silk Microfine Glitter: 661 Violet, 650 Go To Green, 651 Sea Glass, 644 Light Gold, 601 Basic Black
- Clear Double-Sided Adhesive
- 1262 Circle Background
- 764 Pumpkin
- CS020 Halloween Clear Stamps
- Tool Set in Luxury Case
- Cardstock: Black, Alcohol Marker Friendly White
- Alcohol Markers: Copic Y17, YR16, YR18, YG03, YG17, YG67, G29
- Embossing Powder: Gold, Sticky (Optional) e.g. Ranger
- VersaMark or Embossing Ink
- Dimensional Tape
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.