Dogwoods are one of my favorite trees. Every Spring I look forward to them blooming in my yard. The flowers are so beautiful! In this tutorial, I'll show you how to make two shaker cards at the same time. I used ECD's Soft Finish Cardstock for all but the stand - it has a wonderful texture and the colors are really pigmented. So lovely! The stand was made from plain watercolor paper - I just wanted a simple holder so as not to take away from the cards.
Making the Cards
1. Cut two pieces of plastic packaging just under of 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches (maybe 1/16 smaller).
2. Using Curvy Squares, die cut Rosebud and Perfect Pink Soft Finish Cardstock. Be sure to keep all pieces. Adhere the two largest squares to front of plastic packaging such that one has Rosebud as the outside square with Perfect Pink inside and the opposite on the other. Glue all opposite color dots into the outside frames. See photo as a reference.
3. Using the Dogwood dies, cut the following from each cardstock as listed:
- White - 18 sets of petals (with 4 in each set): 10 for flowers, the rest for shakers (I kept them sorted by kind)
- Olive Twist - 10 sets of leaves/calyx and stamen, plus 10 extra small leaves (5 each) for shakers
- Dark Chocolate - 2 branches
4. I recommend doing a quick Google search for pink dogwood blossoms (select the images tab). Note the variations in the amount of pink in the blossoms - decide on how much color you would like and color accordingly. Color petals using Fuchsia watercolor pencil by drawing lines down each. Keep a white U around the middle of each tip. See photo. Add water with a small paint brush to activate the watercolor, again keeping the top middle part white. Lines should be somewhat visible. Do both sides. Tap Forest Moss Distress Ink onto craft mat or palette; add water with a small brush and paint a dab in the middle tip of each petal. Do both sides.
5. For the leaves, first apply Forest Moss Distress Ink with a foam blending tool along edges of each leaf then completely cover the backs (especially on the ones which will go in the shaker), cover all white areas of each stamen, plus the edges of each calix (the insides won't show). Use Light Olive watercolor pencil to draw vein lines.
6. Color branches with Oak watercolor pencil - I just traced the embossed lines and used a little water with a brush to go over them. Ink edges with Ground Espresso Distress Ink (hint: to apply hard-to-reach places, dab some on a craft mat and use a brush with water).
7. Shape everything as shown in the video below. Don't assemble just yet; wait until the shaker has been put together.
8. On the back of the card fronts, adhere dimensional tape around edges (backsides of frames) - leave backing on other side of tape for now. It should form a closed box in back so none of the shaker bits will fall out. Go around edges with powder to remove any stickiness. Fill each with petals, leaves, beads, sequins, etc. (be sure to set aside leaves/petals for 10 flowers first!). Cut Café au Lait cardstock to 4 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches. Peel off backing on dimensional tape and stick down such that color will show in front of card (the back will be white - this is where your message may go).
9. Adhere branches, one on each card, keeping in mind where you would like sentiment. Adhere flowers and leaves as shown in video. Note: I used White Opal Liquid Pearls on the stamen directly instead of using a Pearl Pen to make dots.
10. Die cut sentiments from White, Rosebud, and Perfect Pink cardstocks. Adhere offset with darkest on bottom as shown. Adhere to cards.
You may want to mail a stand along with the card. Check out the Card Stand/Easel by ECD - it's perfect for cards. You may optionally add this to a card base that opens in a more traditional manner by making the Café au Lait cardstock double the size in one dimension (fold in half so color is on outside).
- Soft Finish Cardstock: White, Rosebud, Perfect Pink, Olive Twist, Dark Chocolate, Café au Lait
- 1009 Susan's Garden - Dogwood
- 1064 Fitted Frames 4 - Curvy Squares
- Susan's Garden 4 Piece All Metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- Mini Molding Pad
- 788 Thank You
- 787 Hello
- Beacon Kids Choice Glue
- Optional: 1071 Card Stand/Easel
- Plastic Packaging (Recycle)
- Distress Ink: Forest Moss, Ground Espresso, (Optional: Worn Lipstick)
- Inktense Watercolor Pencils: Fuchsia, Light Olive, Oak
- Dimensional Tape
- Powder or Flour
- Beads, Sequins, Mini Buttons, Chunky Glitter
- Liquid Pearls: White Opal
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.