This is my first post for the Dreamerland Crafts design team! I absolutely love their adorable stamps! This image of a sweet little boy playing with his toy plane and dreaming of adventures is so precious. I wanted it to have a soft look to it so I decided to color the image with colored pencils (Faber-Castell Polychromos) and blend the pencil using stumps and Sansodor (odorless mineral spirits). Just be sure to use this in a well ventilated room (see package warnings). Even though the Sansodor is fairly odorless, it still produces toxic fumes. I keep mine in a small glass jar with a screw lid; I just open it to dip the stump in when I need it then I immediately replace the lid (sometimes I leave it loose if I'm using it a lot).
Making the Card
1. Cut sky blue cardstock to 7 x 10 inches. Fold in half to create a 5 x 7 inch card base.
2. Stamp Embrace Your Dreams using Memento Desert Sand (or other light colored ink). Use the packaging as a guideline. Trace over the eyes, nose, mouth, and part of the patch (looking back, I think I would have preferred to trace the patch in dark brown). Color image with colored pencils, going from light to dark. Use stumps and mineral spirits (in a well ventilated area) to blend areas as you go. Layer colors by staring with a light touch, blend, then layer more in darker areas for shading.
3. Die cut image using 2nd largest stitched circle die (or whatever stitched circle die fits best).
4. Find the following papers in the listed 6x6 pads:
My Mind's Eye Come Away With Me (#6x6203) - Tickets and Adventure Awaits Banner
Teresa Collins Far and Away (FA1010) - Map of North America
Authentique Durrable (#DUR020) - Fuel Gage
5. Cut map paper to 4 3/4 x 6 inches (long side going horizontally, see photo). Adhere map paper to card base where shown. Cut tickets as shown and glue to card base. From the fuel gage paper, die cut using largest stitched circle die (one size larger than the one you used for the image). Adhere where shown. Adhere image in center using dimensional tape. Cut around Adventure Awaits banner; adhere where shown using dimensional tape.
6. Cut three different washi tapes to fit approximately in the bottom left area. Cut tails into each; adhere where shown. Double up a length of twine, thread charm and tie bow. Adhere using strong adhesive (e.g. Glue Dots).
- Cardstock: Sky Blue, White
- Stamp: Dreamerland Crafts Embrace Your Dream (D17012)
- Ink: Memento Desert Sand
- Fine Tipped Black Pen (e.g. .05 Copic Multiliner)
- Colored Pencils: Faber-Castell Polychromos 120 Set
- Mineral Spirits (e.g. Sansodor) - Read Package Warnings
- Blending Stumps (Small)
- Patterned Cardstock 6x6 Pads: My Mind's Eye Come Away With Me (#6x6203), Teresa Collins Far and Away (FA1010), Authentique Durrable (#DUR020)
- Dies: My Favorite Things Die-Namics STAX Dies Inside & Out Stitched Circle
- Washi Tape: Travel/Postal Themed (I used three different ones)
- Twine: Red/White/Blue
- Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Adornment Souvenir (Compass Rose)
- Dimensional Tape
- Glue Dots
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.