Created for the ECD Susan Tierney Cockburn Design Team
This is the card I made for my sister’s birthday. It’s so cold in Michigan in January that I thought I would send a little spring to her in the form of beautiful, colorful flowers. I wanted them to look like porcelain so I used vellum coated with clear Crackle Paint. I’m not sure they look quite like porcelain but I like how they turned out.
Making the Card
1. Cut a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 inch black cardstock in half so you have two 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inch pieces. Fold one in half to form a card 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inches. Use the Tags & More 3 - Leaves die to make a tag card: place the die at the top of the card but be sure the left side fold is inside the die line – you do not want to cut it. Trim the other side to be straight with the tag die cut line.
2. Die cut leaves on top front of card. Die cut a piece of green vellum with the main tag die; trim to fit inside behind the leaf holes. Die cut the flower hole decorator from red cardstock and paint with Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy. Adhere to inside hole as shown.
3. Die cut 4 copies of Happy Birthday from black cardstock and one copy from red. Glue the black copies in a stack to form thick words. Add Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy to the red copy; let dry. Glue to top of black stack.
4. Die cut enough for 3 daisies from white vellum, 2 chrysanthemums from white velum, one rose from pink vellum (plus extra petals for a bud), one rose from red vellum, and leaves from green vellum. Color the chrysanthemum layers with alcohol markers in yellow and orange (I used Copics: Y18, Y38, YR04) – yellow for the larger, orange for the smaller. Add some pink (R83) to the pink petals (leave top edge uncolored). Add green (G46) to leaves. Shape petals. Assemble flowers. To make the bud, roll one of the larger pink petals for a center, glue then add a few petals around this. Die cut one of the calyx (star type shape) from Garden Patch 1 3/8-inch & Mini Daffodils and glue around the base of the bud – you may have to remove one or two sections in order for it to fit well.
5. Using a small brush, paint Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy over flowers and leaves; let dry. Add Yellow Stickles to the centers of the daisies. Add Orange Peel Stickles to the center of chrysanthemums. once they dry, add some Glossy Accents to the centers over the Stickles to give them dimension.
6. Cut 3 copies of kraft cardstock 3 x 3 1/2 inches. Adhere one piece to the inside of the card as shown. Distress and ink edges (e.g. Brushed Corduroy Distress ink) of second copy using an ink blending tool; adhere to front of card. Crimp another piece and rip at a diagonal (see photo); ink edges. Add some Light Molding Paste in places as desired. While wet, sprinkle a small amount of Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter in places to give a subtle shimmer. Adhere to front of card as shown.
7. Cut one strip of craft cardstock 1/2 by 3 1/4 (may need to trim slightly for fold). Adhere inside card as shown.
8. Tie a bow from jute. Adhere Happy Birthday, flowers, bow, and black gems as shown. Tie a double bow of twine at the top of the card.
- 953 Tags & More 3 - Leaves
- 738 Happy Birthday
- 1001 Garden Patch 1 1/2-inch & Mini Roses
- 1002 Garden Patch 1 3/8-inch & Mini Daffodils
- 1003 Garden Patch 1-inch & Mini Daisy & Chrysanthemum
- 642 Silk Microfine Glitter Cool Diamond
- Cardstock: Black, Red, Kraft
- Vellum: Green, Red, Pink, White (Note: you may use markers to color plain white vellum for flowers.)
- Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy
- Crimper (or Corrugated Cardboard)
- Distress Ink: Brushed Corduroy
- Ink Blending Tool
- Light Modelling Paste
- Black Gems
- Alcohol Markers
- Stickles: Yellow, Orange Peel
- Glossy Accents
- Twine, Red/White Striped