Made for Elizabeth Craft Designs Design Team
The inspiration for this card was from a Penny Black stamp depicting a mouse carrying a bouquet of roses. I thought this would make a nice thank you card for a friend. After coloring the image, I decided to mimic the wrapping paper on the roses as the background on the card. I found some B&W striped paper and used the same colored markers for the stripes. They aren't perfectly colored like a patterned paper would be, but I like the hand-made feel it gives to the card.
Making the Card
1. Cut a piece of purple cardstock to 4 1/4 by 11 inches. Fold in half as a card base. Cut a piece of matching purple paper to 3 3/4 by 6 inches. If you don't have matching paper, use the same cardstock; it will just be a little bulkier. Cut a piece of black and white striped paper to 4 1/4 by 7 inches.
2. Stamp and color images of mouse carrying roses and bee from the same set. I used Copic markers. Color the black and white striped paper in matching colors. Use the scalloped oval from Accordion Oval set to cut out the mouse image. Carefully trim off the scallops so it will just be an oval. Cut the scalloped oval from black cardstock and adhere the image to it as shown.
3. Cut a thin strip of red cardstock 4 1/4 inches long. Using the Thank You die, cut about 6 copies from the red cardstock. Glue them together on top of one another so they will have thickness.
4. Center the Lots of Pops die along the purple card base fold and die cut as per the instructions. Pop up only the main platform and one on top. The others won't be used. Adhere the purple paper behind the cut area across the front and back side of the card so the hole won't show when the card is opened. The photo below shows a side view where the paper is covering behind the platforms. Adhere the striped paper to the card as shown. It should cover the purple paper completely. Adhere the red strip to the card as shown (cover the seam). Use dimensional tape to stick down the main image as shown. Adhere the Thank You as shown.
5. Die cut 3 clouds (All Seasons Tree) of each size from dark and medium green cardstock (total of 12). Die cut about 14 small leaves from light green cardstock. Using a foam blender tool, add Evergreen Bough Distress ink to edges of all green die cuts. Die cut tree from brown cardstock. Optional - draw in bark lines using brown colored pencils. Adhere as shown.
6. Die cut clouds (All Seasons Tree) from White Shimmer Sheets using metal adaptor plate. Adhere largest cloud as shown. Adhere small cloud using dimensional tape as shown.
7. Die cut two copies of the wheelbarrow from "distressed wood" cardstock. Cut out the "main section" from one. Cut a piece of red cardstock about 1 5/8 by 1 inch; cut an arc across one wide end. This will go in the wheelbarrow to hold the flowers. Adhere it to the full wheelbarrow on the design side. Add dimensional tape to the back of the "main section" and line it up with the wheelbarrow; stick down.
8. From red paper, cut 13 of the small four rounded petal flower (Bunch of Flowers 1) and 13 small five petal flower (pictured above). Ink edges of both sides with Aged Mahogany. Cut 12 leaves (All Seasons Tree) from green paper. Ink edges of both sides with Forest Moss. Coat both sides of all cuts with Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy. Shape petals by rubbing in the center with something rounded like the end of a small paint brush. I use a rubber mouse pad under flowers for shaping. Shape leaves by drawing down the centers with a die pick or small embossing tool. Curl the tips of all leaves and petals from behind using your thumb and long edge of tool.
9. Adhere each four petal flower offset in the center of a five petal flower. Add a little glue to the center and pinch/scrunch from behind to form a rose. Glue 10 of the flowers to the red cardstock in the wheelbarrow. Glue 9 leaves between the flowers, similar to what is shown.
10. Die cut 2 grass pieces (Garden Bench) from green paper; ink edges with Forest Moss. Coat with Distress Crackle, Rock Candy. Adhere one in front of tree as shown.
11. Fussy cut the bee image. Add Wink of Stella to wings (optional). Bend a few inches of wire around the end of a small paintbrush to create loops. Bend small flat loops at each end of the wire. Adhere one end to back of bee by sandwiching it between the image and a small piece of white cardstock. Similarly
stick the other end to the upper pop up platform using purple cardstock. Bend the bee wire as desired.
12. Adhere the wheelbarrow to the front of the main pop up platform. Adhere the grass as shown. Adhere two flowers and one leaf in front of the wheelbarrow as shown. Add one flower and two leaves to the right of the wheelbarrow (opposite side of card from tree). Add two tree leaves to the bottom of the card as shown - your hand-written message will go under those.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
- 772 Accordion Oval (Scalloped Oval)
- 788 Thank You
- 778 Lots of Pops
- 728 Bunch of Flowers 1
- 781 All Seasons Tree
- 780 Garden Bench, Grass
- 933 Wheel Barrow
- Shimmer Sheetz, White Iridescent
- Metal Adaptor Plate
- Purple Cardstock, Optional Matching Purple Paper
- Red, Black, Brown Cardstock, 3 Shades of Green Cardstock
- Red and Green Paper
- B&W Striped Paper
- Penny Black Stuck on You Stamps (or other stamp set)
- Copic or Other Alcohol Markers
- Wink of Stella (optional)
- Black Wire
- Colored Pencils, various browns (optional)
- Distress Ink, Evergreen Bough, Forest Moss, Aged Mahogany
- Distress Crackle Paint, Rock Candy
- Distressed Wood Cardstock (I used MME Bramble Rose 6x6)