I recently lost a friend, a fellow board gamer and foodie. He was such a bubbly young man; my heart aches for his family. I wanted to make a card that represented his spirit. I came up with this watercolor rainbow and butterfly card that feels colorful, light, and free.
Created for Elizabeth Craft Designs.
Making the Card
1. Cut white card stock to 7 inches by 10 inches; fold in half to form card base for a 5x7 card. Cut a small amount of paper off the card front's long edge (to show the rainbow paper along that edge). Lay out the four base butterfly dies as shown on the front of the card base (butterflies from top to bottom: 1. 767 Butterfly Pivot Card, 2. 773 Butterfly Accessories Dies, 3. 713 Small Butterfly, 4. 773 Butterfly Accessories Dies). Use removable tape to keep them in place while die cutting (e.g. Washi Tape or Post It notes). Die cut the smallest two butterflies from vellum (767 Butterfly Pivot Card and 773 Butterfly Accessories Dies). Cut the lacy butterflies from 713 Small Butterfly and 773 Butterfly Accessories Dies from yellow and purple dot paper respectively.
2. Cut a piece of watercolor paper to 5x7 inches. Starting from the top and working down at a diagonal, watercolor a rainbow across the paper (repeat as often as necessary to cover the entire sheet). I used Inktense pencils for this but most watercolor paints should work as long as the color is saturated (i.e. less water, more paint). Let dry.
3. (Optional) Flick white and black acrylic paint across paper to create speckles. Let dry.
4. Stamp the sentiment in black ink as shown. Adhere the rainbow paper behind the card front as shown. With alcohol markers, color the vellum butterflies (top two) in colors similar to what will be behind them once they have been adhered to the card. Stamp a fancy design on the wings using a nonporous surface black ink (e.g. StazOn). Adhere the centers only of all the butterflies as shown. Once the glue has dried, carefully bend up the wings.
5. (Optional) Add clear Wink of Stella to all the top butterfly wings.Other Supplies
Elizabeth Craft Designs
Elizabeth Craft Designs
- White Card Stock
- Watercolor Paper
- Watercolor Paints or Watercolor Pencils
- White and Black Acrylic Paints (Optional)
- Alcohol Markers
- 2 Sheets of Patterned Paper (Purple w/Dots and Yellow w/Dots used here)
- StazOn or Other Black Ink for Non-Porous Surfaces
- Sentiment Stamp, Design Stamp
- Wink of Stella, Clear (Optional)