Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Party Pop n' Cuts Birthday Card

I made this card for my long-time friend Mirta. She's a really special person so I wanted to make her a really special card. I started with a 6x6 paper pack, Hootenanny by My Mind's Eye. I colored Tilda with my Copic markers to match the paper colors (the stamp is Tilda with Wedding Gifts, by Magnolia). I cut out the image and frame behind it with Spellbinders Labels Four dies. The sentiment was stamped in matching ink and embossed in clear to give it some texture. I used Stephanie Bernard's ornatelabel2stamp set and matching Sizzix Framelets Labels, Ornate #2 for the frame and to cut it out, respectively.

The large flower is from Petaloo, one of their Color Me Crazy mulberry paper flowers. I used Viva Decor Precious Metal Color to paint the flower in matching pinks and blues. I made the small flower with the Sizzix Thinlits Die Set, Flowering Quince.

The card base was cut with Pop n' Cuts Card, Square with Ornate Edge. The inside was cut with the Sizzix Pop n' Cuts magnetic insert Party 3D. I used the matching Sizzix Sizzlits Party Set #2 to cut the inside word "Party" in blue, as well as the streamer ribbon and stars. I colored the streamer and two of the stars with Tim Holtz Distress Stickles (Spun Sugar and Tumbled Glass, I believe). Two of the balloons were cut from card stock, stamped in darker matching ink, and cut using the balloons2cut stamp and die set. I wanted one balloon on matching patterned paper from the Hootenanny pack but realized that I didn't have a plain outline stamp for the balloons. I actually had to order the matching happyBday2you stamp set (luckily her shipping is only $1 per set).

I used a heart die set (although don't remember where I got it) to cut the heart from red card stock, then added Glossy Accents to make it shine. Finally, I used my Cricut and the Close to My Heart Art Philosophy Cartridge and the matching Cherish the Day stamp set to cut the date ticket.

I used recycled clear plastic packaging to hang the balloons and streamer. I just cut a couple of small slits in the top of the pop up platform to stick them through, making small feet to adhere them to the bottom of the card with Glue Dots. Matching twine makes pretty balloon strings.

I love how the card came out. From the side angle you can see how I added some foam tape between the balloons to give them extra dimension. If you look carefully you can also see the clear plastic on which they are mounted, including the feet.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Party Paws Panda Card for a Friend

I recently made this card for a good friend. The main image is from the Party Paws EZMount stamp collection available at Crafter's Companion. This specific set is called Bamboo. The image was stamped with Onyx Black VersaFine Ink on Beckett Expression Cover, Radiance (130#). Unfortunately this excellent quality heavy card stock is no longer being produced; the manufacturer recommends as its replacement Strathmore Premium Cover (this link is to Ultimate White; I'm not sure how it compares to Radiance). I haven't used it yet.

I love VersaFine ink - it really does a beautiful job with all types of stamps... and it's waterproof! I colored the image with Tim Holtz Distress Markers using a water brush.

The base card was cut from Bazzill Basics card stock using a Sizzix A6 scalloped card die. The 3D flower was cut using the Sizzix Sunflower set of dies by Susan Tierney-Cockburn. I cut the leaves from green card stock (Bazzill), painted them with Distress Markers for added shading, then shaped them with a die pick (rubbed the backs of the leaves with the cap, drew lines with the sharp/pointed end). I cut the petals from cream card stock, painted them with the same colors of Distress Markers as the stamped flower, then shaped them with a die pick (line down center) and handle of a small paintbrush (curled ends). I cut the center pieces from brown card stock and shaped them into little "cups" using the rounded end of an embossing tool (you may also use the end of a small paintbrush handle). Below is a closeup of the flower.

The ribbon is Hug Snug seam binding from Zipper Stop. I buy it in cream or white then dye it to match my cards. This was dyed with matching Tim Holtz Distress Stain. The butterfly was punched from vellum with a Martha Stewart butterfly punch then colored with Distress Markers to match the butterfly in the image.