Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.
Making the Card
1. Find the shown rose sheet and dots sheet in Save the Date 6x6 paper pad. Die cut with Accordion Rectangle main die with these patterns up, i.e. facing die (may want to be cognizant of the pattern as you place the die). Trim and fold as shown in instructions on packaging but don't assemble yet.
2. Stamp Happiness Is (Dreamerland Crafts) on Distress Watercolor Cardstock with Potting Soil Archival Ink. Using brown ink, rather than black, creates a softer image. I used Distress watercolor paper because the white closely matches the background of the paper I used for the card base.
3. Watercolor the image (I used several sets of Prima watercolor paints, see Supplies below for the sets I used). I mixed the blue/green color for her dress so it would closely match the dots in the paper. I also mixed up enough to use on the leaves for the flowers (step 5). Die cut image using largest accessory rectangle die (Accordion Rectangle, ECD). Adhere to rose page as shown.
4. Die cut blue/green cardstock (Pastels, AC) using Katie Flourish Frame Edges - four of each (enough for 2 full frames). Adhere one set on the dotted page and the other on the back of the rose page (trellis). Die cut white cardstock with largest accessory rectangle die (Accordion Rectangle). Adhere to dotted page as shown. Note: I used fairly thin white cardstock for this and the rose in the next step.
5. Die cut two roses and one bud plus a bunch of extra petals (Rose 2, ECD) from white cardstock. Die cut two sets of leaves. Color leaves with watercolor (same color as dress, step 3); add veins once mostly dry if desired. Use Fired Brick Distress Ink as if it were watercolor to color the petals. I put a light coat on first then added a bit more darker from the bottom up through the centers of the petals (I just left the tips and edges lighter). Shape petals and leaves using ball stylus and leaf tools; see the video below for shaping and assembly (don't use the big stems but save one small stem for the bud; cut off the two large leaves for use). I also use Kids Choice Glue for flowers because of its viscosity.
6. Adhere roses and leaves as shown. Die cut "hello" (Accordion Rectangle, ECD) from pink/peach cardstock (Pastels, AC). Adhere where shown. Finish card assembly as per instructions on packaging.
- Stamp: Happiness Is, Dreamerland Crafts (D17010)
- Ink: Potting Soil Mini Archival Ink, Wendy Vecchi/Ranger (Kit #1 – AMDK57796 )
- Watercolor Paper: Distress Watercolor Cardstock, Tim Holtz/Ranger (TDA39549)
- Watercolor: Prima (The Classics, Tropicals, Decadent Pies, Shimmering Lights)
- Paper: Save the Date 6x6 Pad, Teresa Collins (SD1010)
- Cardstock: Pastels by American Crafts, White
- Elizabeth Craft Designs Dies: Accordion Rectangle (972), Katie Flourish Frame Edges (977; I just noticed that it has been discontinued but you may be able to find it on eBay), Garden Notes - Rose 2 (998)
- Distress Ink: Fired Brick
- Susan's Garden All Metal Tool Set
- Kids Choice Glue