Creating galaxy or nebula backgrounds is really popular these days. Many people are using watercolor paints to create them. I decided to use the incredibly bright Radiant Neon Inks by Imagine Crafts to create mine, along with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. This combination gives a surprisingly realistic look (well, similar to the enhanced space photos seen in magazines and online). I applied Sheer Shimmer Spritz to the background as well - it's so beautiful in person! Unfortunately the photos don't pick up much more than a few shiny dots here & there but you can see it better in the video (although the colors are duller in the video, sigh).
Making the Card
1. Cut purple/blue cardstock to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches; fold in half for a card base.
2. Cut watercolor paper to about 5 x 6 inches. Note: the final size will be 4 x 5 1/4 inches, leaving extra space for taping down and triming.
3. Watch the video below to create the nebula look on the watercolor paper. To create a galaxy, just apply the color in a band across the card. Hint: do a Google search for "nebula" or "galaxy" - click the "Images" tab and use one of the photos as a model as you work. You will see me do this on my iPhone, which I set up in front of my work area (out of view of the video camera).
4. After cutting down the watercolor piece to 4 x 5 1/4 inches, emboss the sentiment in white embossing powder where shown (I use an anti-static tool before embossing). Mount it on the front of the card base using a strong tape, e.g. Tear It tape. Adhere alien using dimensional tape.
- Radiant Neon Ink Pads or Inkers: Electric Yellow, Electric Orange, Electric Coral, Electric Pink, Electric Purple, Electric Blue, Electric Green
- StazOn Ink: Jet Black
- irRESISTible Texture Spray: Wedding Dress
- Memento Ink Pad: Tuxedo Black
- Memento Marker: Tuxedo Black
- Sheer Shimmer Spritz: Sparkle
- VersaMark Ink Pad (For Embossing)
- Embossing Powder: White
- Watercolor Paper: Arches Hot Press (Recommended)
- Ink Blushers
- Tear It! Tape
- Painter's Tape (Masking Tape)
- Stamps: Paper Smooches Space Cadet
- Plastic Packaging
- Optional: Spray Bottle with Water
- Cardstock: Purple/Blue
- Dimensional Tape
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.