Since the inside of this card is so colorful and has the pop up surprise, I wanted the front to be fairly simple. I chose a a small dot pattern in two colors for decoration. The inside is bursting with a full rainbow of color (literally!). The sentiment works perfectly, especially with the added color to each of the letters.
Making the Card
1. Cut blue polka dot/green plaid cardstock from Birthday stack to 4 1/4 x 11 inches; fold in half to form a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch card base. Die cut using the Pop Stand (Pop It Ups - Barn Pop Stand) as directed. Cut two strips from same paper 3 3/4 x 1/2 inches.
2. Cut red polka dot/gray cardstock from Birthday stack into two 4 x 4 inch pieces. Adhere strips (step 1) to top back (gray side) of these with green side showing. Adhere one on back so it covers the holes (from the inside you see the green through the holes, hiding them). Do not get glue on the pieces that will form the pop up! Die cut the other red polka dot piece at the bottom using the 2nd largest Dotted Scalloop Circles by only using the cutting plate over the bottom of the die (you do not want to cut the top). See photo of front of card. Adhere piece to front as shown.
3. Die cut 8 stars from blue polka dot paper and 1 heart from red polka dot paper (Hot Air Balloons). Coat each with Glossy Accents. Set aside to dry.
4. Using rainbow die (Rainbow Sky), die cut Soft Finish Cardstock: True Blue, Dark Fuchsia, Ladybug Red, Bright Orange, Sunflower, Spring Green, True Green.
5. Adhere Double Sided Adhesive to one side of a piece of scrap cardstock. Die cut using 4th largest Dotted Scallop Circles. Fold in half. Cut along line. Peel off release sheets. Adhere rainbow die cuts in rainbow order to each half (one will be the front side and one will be the back) - but leave off the smallest piece. Before adhering the smallest piece, cut off some of the excess paper leaving just enough to add the last piece. Add the smallest piece and trim any excess so rainbow is flush on both sides.
6/ Die cut 2 copies of large balloon and sandbags (Hot Air Balloons) from Sunflower Soft Finish Cardstock. Cut desired decorator pieces. I used Ladybug Red and Bright Orange for one, and Spring Green and True Green for the other. Use ink blending tool with Brushed Corduroy and Walnut Stain for the baskets and ropes (lighter in the middle and on ropes). Add Ground Espresso to sandbags. Ink front and back edges of balloons with Wild Honey. I inked my decorator pieces with Fired Brick & Spiced Marmalade, and Twisted Citron & Peeled Paint.
7. Adhere one balloon using dimensional tape to rainbow as shown. (Note: you can skip the dimensional tape if you want the card to close without the bulk.) Line up rainbows back to back, then adhere the other balloon on the back rainbow so it is in line with the first balloon. See photo. You may want to cut extra rainbow colors for the backsides where the white will show or color them with markers matching the opposite side top bow.
8. Stamp sentiments "Hello" and "Wishing You a Colorful Day" on White Soft Finish Cardstock in black ink. Die cut each with stitched rectangle (Gift Card Accordion set). Adhere "Hello" to front of card using dimensional tape where shown. Tie red ribbon into bow and adhere to front of card.
9. Cut 1/4 x 3 5/8 inch strips from Ladybug Red, Bright Orange, and Sunflower Soft Finish Cardstock. Color "Wishing You a Colorful Day" with colored pencils (I used 11 colors). Cut White Soft Finish Cardstock 3 3/4 x 4 1/8 inches. Cut green cardstock 3 5/8 x 4 inches (if you cannot find green cardstock to match plaid paper, you may skip it or use another color). Adhere green cardstock to White cardstock then adhere to card as shown (this area is for writing a message). Adhere Ladybug Red, Bright Orange, and Sunflower Soft Finish Cardstock strips where shown. Adhere "Wishing You a Colorful Day" with dimensional tape. Adhere stars and heart where shown (3 top right front, one on "Hello" rectangle, 3 inside top left, one center in front of rainbow).
10. Die cut Card Stand/Easel from Soft Finish Cardstock (Original 100 lb) cardstock (shown in front of card photo).
- 1150 Hot Air Balloons
- 1151 Rainbow Sky
- 1172 Dotted Scallop Circles
- 1021 Pop It Ups - Barn Pop Stand
- 1095 Gift Card Accordion
- CS016 General Sentiments Stamps
- Soft Finish Cardstock: Original 85 lb (Optional 100 lb), True Blue, Dark Fuchsia, Ladybug Red, Bright Orange, Sunflower, Spring Green, True Green
- Double Sided Adhesive
- Optional: Card Stand/Easel (Shown in Front of Card Photo)
- Cardstock: DIY Project Stack Birthday (DCWV PS-009-00014), Green
- Distress Inks: Brushed Corduroy, Walnut Stain, Ground Espresso, Wild Honey, Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Twisted Citron, Peeled Paint
- Ink Blending Tool
- Foam Applicators
- Black Ink (e.g. StazOn Jet Black)
- Red Ribbon
- Colored Pencils
- Glossy Accents
- Dimensional Tape
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.