Memento Markers have dual tips; one is a flexible brush tip and the other is a fine tip. The brush tip is great for learning brush lettering techniques. I've tried many brush tip pens and this was the easiest one to begin with. It's just stiff enough to get a fine line without too much effort but flexible enough to get a nice thick one on the downstrokes.
Watch the video below to see how I used Memento Markers for brush lettering.
- Push down on the pen for down strokes (creating a thick line); pull up on the pen for all other strokes (creating a fine line).
- Every pen is different - draw a few strokes before writing each time you switch pens to get the pen's feel. Draw a series of lines, thin to thick, then draw some curves, up down up...
- Create your own alphabet - look around for alphabets that please you and alter letters as you see fit. For example, leave out the loop on the decender for the letter "p" or add a loop on the ascender on the letter "k".
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Note: If you click over to my Pinterest site, you can find alphabets and other info under the Calligraphy section.
- Share Lettering has a brush drills worksheet download pdf that is great for beginners.
- Papel n Co. has brush pen worksheets, both upper case and lower, in pdf format.
- Pieces Calligraphy has a lot of downloads, scroll down to the Printable Worksheets section.
- Dawn Nicole has brush lettering sheets in a pdf as well as modern calligraphy practice sheets in a pdf.
- Katrina Alana had both a spacing guide sheet as well as a blank guide sheet in printable pdf form.
- The Postman's Knock has a lot of great freebies off these posts (you will have to use the cart but they are free) - click inside each post to get to the freebie links (search for "free" if you can't find it). Some of the style worksheets I downloaded included: Beth, Janet, Amy, and Kaitlin.
- If you want to get really fancy, Crystalizabeth Modern Hand Lettering and Design has a link to a free flourish practice worksheet pdf.
Beginning Brush Lettering Tutorials
- Surely Simple: Brush Lettering Tips + Practice Part 2.
- The Postman's Knock (TPK): Free Brush Pen Calligraphy Worksheet. The author, Lindsey, also posted a brush lettering tutorial, including a short video.
- Pieces Calligraphy: An entire Learn section with loads of information.
- Memento Markers
- T-Square (or Ruler)
- Marker Friendly Cardstock (e.g. Copic X-Press It)
- Optional: Graph Paper
- Optional: Dies (in video: Spellbinders Labels Four S4-190 and Labels Four Small S4-309)
Affiliates links may be included in this post. See Notice at bottom of blog.