The Susan's Southern Magnolia dies make wonderful, realistic magnolia blooms. It's also one of the easier flowers to make (compared to her other designs) since there are not as many pieces to assemble. I couldn't help making this into a pink magnolia flower - one of my favorite colors! On the real flowers, the color is mainly on the outside of the petals with white inside. Some color does come through to the inside though. Be sure to Google "pink magnolia" for some image examples.
Making the Card
1. Cut teal/white striped paper and cardstock to about 3 x 5 1/2 inches - paying attention to the pattern if you want to be precise. Ahere together. Using Flourish Tag die, center and cut near top. Trim excess so final tag is just under 5 inches long (width determined by die; trim sides flush). Optional: use a corner rounder on the bottom two corners.
2. From white cardstock, die cut magnolia petals, two copies of the small triple petals and one copy of everything else. Die cut two flower centers. From green cardstock, die cut magnolia leaves: two small plus one large. Color with pink pastel pencil on outside of petals: start lines at the base and go towards but not all the way to edge of each petal. Smudge/blend with makeup applicator or stump (you could also use your finger; it's just messier). Add light smudges inside as well, but don't use the pencil directly. You could also use alcohol markers or even watercolor pencils, water, and a paintbrush to achieve a similar look.
3. Add pink to bottom of both flower center pieces, but not to the top part... use yellow Pan Pastel on the tops. Color leaves and shape everything as shown in the video. I drew and smudged vein lines with dark green pastel pencil before adding the rest of the color and shaping.
4. Die cut the three Banners from pink triangle and turquoise papers (see Supplies) as shown. Fold, glue, and adhere to card as shown.
5. Adhere silver foil cardstock to thin craft foam. Die cut Dream, Hope, and Joy. Adhere as shown. Adhere magnolia where shown. Tie two pieces of pink/white twine through tag hole.
- 1142 Garden Notes Southern Magnolia
- 957 Tags & More 4 - Flourish
- 808 Susan's Garden 4pcs. All metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- 810 Large Molding Pad
- 30117 Susan's Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 3
- 1153 Banners
- 733 Dream
- 752 Hope
- 753 Joy
- Cardstock: White, Green
- Paper: Heidi Swapp 6x6 Paper Pad Favorite Things 01163, Silver Foil Cardstock (e.g. Tim Holtz Kraft-Core Metallic Collection by Core'dinations)
- Pastel Pencils: Stabile CarbOthello 335 (Magenta/Pink), 595 (Dark Green)
- Distress Embossing Powder: Mustard Seed
- Petroleum Jelly
- Craft Foam (I used the thin version)
- Beacon Kits Choice Glue
- Twine: Pink/White
- Optional: 1/4 inch Corner Rounder