This is a fun card to make - and relatively easy as well. The foil is really beautiful - super shiny! Unfortunately it doesn't show up well in the photos. There are a number of foils on the market now, including Therm-O-Web Deco Foil and Heidi Swapp Minc Foil, both of which maybe applied to laser printed sheets using a laminator (preferred method) or an iron. For my card, I used Rainbow Deco Foil.
Making the Card
1. Warm up laminating machine.
2. Create a document in Word or other text editing software. Type whatever words you would like to see on the card, centered one per line. Select a different font for each line. There are loads of free fonts on the web, in case you are looking for something more interesting than what you already have installed. Be aware of the size as you edit. I made a 5x7 card with layers of cardstock; I tried to keep the words within about 4 x 6 inches. I made the words in a tapering pattern, small to large then back.
3. Print your words on white cardstock using a laser printer (a jet printer will not work - you need heat activated powder toner).
4. Cut a piece of Rainbow Deco Foil a bit larger than the words. I cut the piece so that the blue started at the top. Place inside a carrier (I used blank white paper). Check that the laminating machine is fully heated up. Run through laminating machine. Let cool a few seconds before peeling off. If this is your first try, check a corner to be sure the foil is adhering properly. If not, you may have to run it through again. Alternatively, an iron may be used, although I had better results with the laminator. Cut down to 4 3/8 x 6 3/8 inches (hint: you may want to mark in pencil before cutting so words will be centered).
5. Cut a piece of dark teal cardstock 7 x 10 inches; fold in half to form a card base.
6. Cut a piece of red foil cardstock 4 3/4 x 6 3/4 inches. Cut a piece of orange foil cardstock 4 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches. Adhere orange to red, then both to card base.
7. Die cut large stars from foil cardstock, one red and one orange, using Sizzix Triplits Die Set 10PK Balloons set. Die cut small stars from red and orange foil cardstock. Die cut candle as shown, using Sizzix Triplits Die Set 9PK Cupcakes set. Adhere die cuts to foiled sheet as shown.
8. Adhere decorated foiled sheet to card.
- Laminating Machine
- Cardstock: White, Dark Teal, Red Foil, Orange Foil (Foiled Cardstock by American Crafts, it may be out of print)
- Rainbow Deco Foil (by Therm-O-Web)
- 659927 Sizzix Triplits Die Set 9PK Cupcakes (Candle)
- 659925 Sizzix Triplits Die Set 10PK Balloons (Stars)