This little girl was a lot of fun to watercolor! She is so joyful - the perfect choice for a Merry Christmas card. The packages at the bottom went well with the card, but if you don't have this paper, you could stamp them or even doodle them. Note: the watercolor paper is warm toned (yellowish), not white so be sure to use it for the sentiment as well.
Making the Card
1. Cut blue cardstock 7 x 10 inches. Fold in half to for a card base. Cut red cardstock 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches. Cut red/white striped patterned paper 3 5/8 x 4 5/8 inches; adhere to red cardstock then to card base as shown.
2. On watercolor paper, stamp girl on present (Oak Tree Stamps: All I Want for Christmas set) using waterproof black ink. Optional: with a waterproof black pen, draw a line for the ground. Stamp Merry Christmas sentiment leaving enough space to die cut image and cut around sentiment. Watercolor image starting with lightest values, letting dry in between layers. This gives it a painterly look.
3. Die cut watercolored image using Lawn Fawn: Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables. Adhere to card base where shown.
4. Cut strip of presents from patterned paper; adhere near bottom of card. Trim excess from back of card.
5. Die cut packages using Sizzix/Tim Holtz Mini Retro Packages - large in pink and red, small in blue and pink. Cut bows from large red and small pink packages then paper piece on pink and blue packages respectively as shown. Glue a piece of cardstock on the back of each package where the ribbon cross will go: use color matching ribbon to go in the hole - cut just smaller than the package body (hint: I trace the outside of the package on the cardstock then cut just inside the line). Glue ribbons in as shown. Adhere packages where shown using dimensional tape.
6. Cut Merry Christmas sentiment out in a strip, leaving room for flag tails. Cut flag tails and trim as necessary. Adhere to red cardstock. Cut around leaving small margin of red (I trimmed the left side flush). Adhere to card where shown, using dimensional tape.
7. Adhere enamel dots as shown.
- Cardstock: Blue, Red, Pink
- Watercolor Paper (e.g. Arches Hot Press)
- Waterproof Black Ink (e.g. Versafine Onyx Black)
- Watercolor Paints (e.g. Winsor & Newton)
- Patterned Paper: Jolly Holiday (Recollections) 6x6 Pad
- Oak Tree Stamps: All I Want for Christmas
- Lawn Fawn: Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables (2nd Largest)
- Sizzix/Tim Holtz Mini Retro Packages
- Enamel Dots