This T-Shirt stamp is the largest solid area stamp I own. It's from Stephanie Barnard (The Stamps of Life). The only ink I use when stamping large areas like this is Versafine from Tsukineko. It stamps crisp and bright every time. If I had a Misti Tool, it would have had perfectly even inking and a bit more solid color but this shows how well the ink works on a first stamp (and first try). I left the tiny offset at the top of the shirt so you can see just how crisp the lines stamp (plus I kind of like the slightly imperfect look for handmade cards).
This is the first time using the balloons background. I usually try to use more muted backgrounds so they don't distract from the main image but it was so fun I couldn't resist - perfect for a (belated) birthday card.
Making the Card
Below is a photo of some of the supplies I used on the card. I usually try to pull out the papers I plan to use - and sometimes a few of the embellishments; this makes it so much easier/faster to pull the card together. I didn't really do any coloring for this card but having the papers selected also helps when selecting the colors for the image so they can match perfectly. In this case, I just had to match the shirt ink and the crystals. Of course sometimes I tweak the papers later... this time I ended up switching out the yellow background paper, shown in the photo, for the pink background version I used on the card.
1. Using the main Step-Ups die, die cut the blue cardstock. Use the star side element to cut out each side, centering them within the edges and folds. Use the frame die that fits the star side element to cut two light blue frames; glue them behind the stars (this will be the inside of the card). Fold along the lines as instructed. Die cut pink background birthday paper with decorator die. Adhere as shown.
2. Stamp T-shirt in Satin Red Versafine ink on white cardstock. Note: I recommend heat setting after each stamping. Stamp T-shirt outline over with Onyx Black Versafine ink, then stamp "Oh, Shirt" (optionally, you could mount this inside the outline and stamp at the same time). Die cut. Add Swarovski crystals to T-shirt as shown (you could substitute other rhinestones but these shine so beautifully!).
3. Stamp "I forgot your birthday" on white cardstock with Onyx Black Versafine ink. Use the smaller label die from Sizzix Stamps - Birthday & Frames to cut it out. Doodle lines/dashes/dots around the edge of the frame in a black pen (e.g. Memento Marker, Tuxedo Black).
4. Tie a double length of red/white twine in a bow. Adhere T-shirt with dimensional tape where shown. Use dimensional tape under label but double it up where it will sit on the card base - the single layer will sit on the T-shirt. Cut off the back of the party hat button with wire cutters (sand flat if necessary). Add dimensional tape under the party hat where it will sit on the card. Adhere everything where shown.
- Cardstock: Blue, Light Blue, White
- Patterned Paper: 6x6 Pad My Mind's Eye Hootenanny #6X6207
- Sizzix Card, Kind Sentiments - Step-Ups
- Tsukineko Inks: Onyx Black, Satin Red
- Black Pen (e.g. Memento Marker Tuxedo Black)
- Sizzix Stamps - Birthday & Frames
- Stamps of Life: patterns4tshirts, tshirt2stamp, T-Shirt Dies,
- Hat Button: Buttons Galore & More 4168 Party Hats
- Swarovski Crystals: pink, red, blue, clear
- Hat Confetti, Star Sequins
- Twine: Red/White
- Dimensional Tape