Halloween is coming! Time for spooky scenes... and Susan's new CountryScapes are perfect for setting the stage (or creating the card). I combined this with Karen Burniston's Garden Bench decorated as an old weather-beaten seat under the eerie moon and creepy tree. What else could be lurking nearby?? Bwahaha...
Making the Card
Note: I used cream and orange papers from the Authentique Enchanted 6x6 Paper Pad. You could substitute cream and orange cardstock instead.
1. Cut two pieces black cardstock to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches (basically, one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet cut in half). Fold each in half then die cut one with Garden Bench main die as directed on packaging.
2. Protect card around bench with Post-it or other removable tape/paper. Paint "wood" areas with a fairly thick coat of Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint. Add a very little on the iron works area to give it an aged look (I used my finger). The paint may pick up some black color from the paper but since the bench is in shadow, it works. Once completely dry, sponge over with Black Soot Distress Ink. Optional: wipe surface with slightly damp paper towel to remove a little surface ink while leaving ink in cracks.
3. Adhere other piece of folded black cardstock to back, lining up edges (mainly to cover the holes and strengthen the card). When applying adhesive, be sure to avoid the bench area. Add adhesive to one side, line up with fold on non-sticky side (it's easier to slide around this way), stick adhesive sides together, then adhere the other side. Trim if necessary.
4. For front of card:
- From cream paper punch spider web (I used Spider Web Large Double Punch by Martha Stewart/EK Success). Add a little Rusty Hinge Distress Ink as desired.
- Cut a strip of cream paper 7/8 x 3 1/2 inches; stamp Spooky (Technique Tuesday Halloween Circles set) about 3/4" from left. Add Rusty Hinge as desired. Add Black Soot Distress Ink to edges of strip.
- Stamp pumpkin (same set) on cream paper, leaving a little space around it for cutting it out. Color pumpkin with Rusty Hinge and Peeled Paint Distress ink (I used a foam pad); cut out pumpkin with 1 1/2 inch circle punch or die.
- Cut striped decorative paper about 4 x 5 1/4 depending on the exact size of your card (i.e. leave 1/16 inch border around it on card front so it will be 1/8 inch smaller than each card front dimension); adhere to front of card.
- Cut black cardstock mats 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 inches and 1 7/8 x 4 7/8 inches. Cut spiderweb paper 2 1/8 x 2 5/8 inches; cut orange/black decorative paper 1 3/4 x 4 3/4 inches. Adhere to black cardstock mats then to card front as shown.
- Adhere Spooky strip as shown; adhere pumpkin with dimensional tape. Note: I added black glitter nail polish with holographic dots to my orange enamel dots to give them a grunge look. I found the nail polish at a dollar store - Kleancolor 188 Black Out. Adhere spider, web, and enamel dots where shown.
5. Die cut a circle (Ring Accordion or other circle die) from orange paper. Use Pan Pastels to color Moon shadows and highlights. Adhere at top right corner inside card (see photo). Trim from back, flush with card. Die cut a scrap of cardstock with clouds die to use as a template. Chalk under with light yellow or white Pan Pastel all across the sky, including over moon in a couple spots. Slightly smudge with finger.
7. Adhere all elements where shown - using dimensional tape behind pumpkins and raven.
8. Die cut 2nd largest decorator tag from cream paper. Sponge Rusty Hinge Distress Ink through Shatter (Tim Holtz) stencil in top right corner of tag for a subtle spider web background. Randomly edge/sponge with Black Soot and Rusty Hinge for an aged look. Stamp Happy Halloween (Technique Tuesday Halloween Circles set) and spider (Studio G) in black ink as shown. Optional: add black Enamel Accents to body of spider. Glue bats as pictured. Cut orange paper 1 7/8 inches wide (the width is 6" from paper pad). Cut spiderweb paper 1 5/8 inches wide. Adhere spiderweb decorative paper centered in orange. Cut to width of card. Wrap Halloween twine around three times, securing in back. Adhere with dimensional tape to bottom of card. Tie a bow with twine. Add tag (with dimensional tape) and bow as shown.
- 780 Garden Bench
- 904 Ring Accordion or Other Circle Die
- 1094 CountryScapes - Clouds & Grass (Clouds, Grass)
- 1078 CountryScapes - Backyard 3 Apple Orchard (Tree)
- 1080 CountryScapes - Build a Scarecrow (Pumpkins)
- 1082 CountryScapes - Critters 4 (Bats)
- 989 CountryScapes - Critters 1 (Raven, Black Cat)
- 973 Tags Pivot Card
- Pan Pastels: Susan's Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 1 - 30115, Susan's Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 2 - 30116, Susan's Garden PanPastel Flower Coloring Kit 3 - 30117
- 808 Susan's Garden 4pcs. All metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- 810 Large Molding Pad
- Double Sided Adhesive
- Cardstock: Black, Yellow/Orange
- Patterned Paper: Authentique Enchanted 6x6 Paper Pad #ENC009
- Distress Crackle Paint: Picket Fence
- Distress Ink: Black Soot, Rusty Hinge, Peeled Paint
- Black Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
- Gel Pen: Milky Yellow (or White with Color Added on Top)
- Enamel Accents: Black
- Stencil: Tim Holtz Shatter THS014
- Stamp Set: Technique Tuesday Halloween Circles
- Spider Stamp (Studio G, Dollar Bin at Craft Store)
- Twine: Halloween Colors (Black/Orange/White)
- Dimensional Tape
- Circle Punch or Die - 1 1/2 Inch
- Spider Web Large Double Punch - Martha Stewart/EK Success
- Jolee's Boutique - Cute Spiders and Webs 50-20498
- Enamel Dots
- Optional: Glitter Nail Polish - Kleancolor 188 Black Out