I made this card for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day using Karen Burniston's Oval Accordion (plus decorator) dies and Susan Tierney Cockburn's Hyacinthe flower dies. I love Hyacinthe flowers - I have some purple ones in my yard; they are so beautiful in the spring. Susan's dies really bring this flower to life.
Making the Card
1. Die cut two accordion frames from double-sided cardstock (e.g. K&Company designer paper from Que Sera Sera). Train the folds but do not adhere together yet. Trim tabs on back panel as per instructions.
2. From light pink cardstock, die cut 3 sets of flourish edges (6 of each size). Adhere to all sides except back; see photos.
3. Die cut Hyacinthe stem and leaves from green cardstock. Watercolor with Mowed Lawn Distress Ink. Use tool set and molding pad to shape the leaves.
4. Die cut Hyacinthe petals from light pink cardstock. You will probably want to cut at least 2 sets, depending on how full you would like your flower. Watercolor each petal with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink, a stripe down the center of each petal. Use tool set and moulding pad to shape petals: give them a curve by rubbing down the back side of each petal. From the front side, gently but firmly press down in center of each with smallest stylus to get petals to form a cup as shown.
5. Adhere stem, leaves and petals onto front card oval as shown: keep in mind that the panel will rotate when assembled.
6. Die cut butterflies from black cardstock. Watercolor wings with Perfect Pearls. Optional: add Glossy Accents to give bodies dimension. Gently bend wings up and adhere to card where shown.
7. Die cut stitched oval from medium pink cardstock. Adhere to card base as shown. Die cut smaller scalloped oval from light pink cardstock. Stamp sentiment. Optional: ink edges with Worn Lipstick Distress ink using ink blending tool. Apply Stickles around edges. Set aside to dry.
8. Die cut flourish edge from green cardstock. Cut both side designs off and adhere one to top of stitched oval as shown. Adhere center piece over bottom of stitched oval (hanging over edges) and trim from back. Adhere sentiment oval to center using dimensional tape.
9. Tie a small bow from light pink ribbon. Adhere bow and half pearls where shown. Glue tabs and assemble card as per instructions.
Elizabeth Craft Designs
- 1016 Garden Notes - Hyacinthe
- 1011 Garden Notes - Bugs & Butterflies
- 772 Accordion Oval Card
- 777 Oval Flourish Frame Edges
- 782 Agatha Edges
- 808 Susan's Garden 4 Piece All Metal Tool Set in Luxury Case
- 810 Large Molding Pad
- Designer Paper: K&Company Double-Sided Que Sera Sera 625532
- Cardstock: Light Pink, Medium Pink, Green, Black
- Distress Ink: Mowed Lawn, Worn Lipstick
- Perfect Pearls: Pink Bumball, Sour Apple (Green)
- Glossy Accents (Optional)
- The Stamps of Life, stamps4fancylabel (Happy Mother's Day stamps), Black Ink
- Dimensional Tape
- Half Pearls
- Stickles: Tickled Pink
- Ribbon: Light Pink