Created for the ECD Susan Tierney Cockburn Design Team
Here's a sunny sunflower project as well as a great way to recycle! This may be done to any container or jar with a wide circular lid (or even a box). I started with a former body butter container; this one was from The Body Shop, Coconut.
Decorating the Container
1. On patterned paper, trace a circle that is slightly smaller than the lid. Keep in mind the pattern you would like to see on top. Cut it out. (Optional: use a circle die to cut it out.) Adhere to lid.
2. Measure side of container base. Using a slightly smaller measurement, cut a strip from patterned paper. If it doesn't go all the way around, you will cover the place it doesn't meet. In my case I used the stitched oval and daisies to go over the gap. If this still doesn't cover it, just use another small strip to make up the difference. Adhere strip to base.
3. Die cut stitched oval from patterned paper; ink if desired. Adhere over gap. Die cut stems and daisies from Garden Notes - Backyard 1, using green and yellow cardstock respectively. Ink flowers with Wild Honey Distress Ink and stems with Peeled Paint. Shape leaves slightly so they stick up. Shape petals on mini molding pad by running small stylus down each petal. Add glue to centers of each and dip in dark brown embossing powder. Adhere stems then flowers as shown.
4. From the Garden Notes - Sunflower set, die cut 1 flower base and 3 sets of petals from yellow cardstock, 2 sets of stems/leaves and 1 single leaf from green cardstock, and 2 sets of seed pods from brown cardstock. Shape, color and assemble as shown in the video below. Optional: I cut the stem where the bow is located to change the angle slightly before adhering to lid; I also added dimensional tape under the flower head to pop it up a bit.
5. Using a combination of Mustard Seed and Wild Honey (sparingly) Distress Stains, dye a length of seam binding; spray with water to help colors mix. Crinkle and dry (use a heat tool to speed this up). Tie a bow. Add jump ring to "Wander" Philosophy Tag (I added alcohol ink to top to get it to match colors more closely) and hook through bow center. Adhere bow as shown.
- Patterned Paper: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Wallflower
- Cardstock: Yellow, Brown, Green
- Distress Ink: Peeled Paint, Wild Honey
- Colored Pencils or Pastels
- Embossing Powder: Dark Brown
- Dimensional Tape
- Distress Stain: Mustard Seed, Wild Honey
- Seam Binding (Ribbon)
- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Philosophy Tags, Jump Ring
- Alcohol Ink (Optional)
- Enamel Dots